The ETRC’s mission is to act as a resource centre for the study of the Eastern Townships of Quebec. In addition to facilitating knowledge transfer, its mission includes partnering with community stakeholders to collect, share and disseminate Eastern Townships archival resources.
While the Archives Department concentrates on the acquisition of private archives related to the English-speaking community, the Centre’s mission, mandate and ongoing activities are meant to be inclusive of each linguistic community present in the Eastern Townships.
The ETRC’s mandate is threefold:
- To provide the necessary materials and infrastructure for knowledge transfer between academics and key players in socio-economic development and in community organizations. Knowledge transfer includes:
- Print and online dissemination: the Journal of Eastern Townships Studies and the Newsletter
- Events: book launches, colloquia, conferences, exhibits, and lectures
- To act as a resource centre for information on the Eastern Townships by managing, acquiring, processing, preserving, and providing access to archival collections from Eastern Townships English-speaking communities past and present.
- To function as a focal point for community service and community-based learning by establishing partnerships with community organizations, acting as a liaison between the University and surrounding regional groups, and contributing to experiential learning.